I finally got around to taking a crack at integrating the first pieces of the GUI system. Previously I had developed a prototype proof of concept and, although it worked, it had issues when I tried integrating it into the extension. I had run into issues where the game engine editor crashed whenever I exited the test level. I was so frustrated by this that I shelved the GUI and was only planning to get back to it after the FPSC-R contest.
Tonight I decided to try again. I was a bit frustrated with testing the latest beta build released to contest winners and didn’t feel like working on the actual game. After some prayer asking that I can find the solution, it all fell into place. I suddenly found myself going from being completely distraught over the failure to having complete success in just over an hour. Praise God.
The current GUI is just the basic setup with no real functionality just yet. It does create the basic graphic foundation and has one function to allow me to add a special effect to my game. Once I get a little bit more done on the effect I’ll post a video in the FPSC-R video gallery.
The best news of all is that the addition of this full-screen graphic effect didn’t have even a single frame of performance impact on my demo level. Which gives me high confidence that I can proceed with adding real GUI elements and not adversely affect the game. So, all-in-all a very productive evening after a very shaky start.